Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Jumping back into the sea, just like flipper

It's been two weeks since my last entry. A long time by my usually regular posting patterns. The reason for my inter web absence is that I simply have not been playing poker. I think I've played about 3 hours of live poker and less again on the net since Drogheda. There is no solid reason for this other than that I've been busy and a little dis-interested. My plan is to get back to my usual playing routine this week (ie a couple of thousand online hands & one evening cash session at the weekend). It is that solid base which has served me well throughout 2007 and I need to get back to this routine before I get rusty.

My plan is to dive back in for smaller stakes. Unibet have a great promotion on at the moment with a €2000 sign-up bonus. I estimate I'll need to play approx 20,000 hands at 50/1 withing the allotted time frame of 30 days. This will serve two purposes for me. Firstly I will get plenty of practice playing in order to clear the bonus. Secondly should all go well (ie break even or better) I will get €2000 for my troubles. It seems like a solid plan to get me back into the swing of things on the online poker front where I played around 70% of my poker hours last year.

I was in Waterford last weekend for the team event. It was my first time working for Blonde Poker which was fun. I got to work with snoopy who seems to be Mr. Blonde at this stage with the amount of work he does on the site. Hopefully after I get a few more of these Irish events behind me I'll be able to update some EPT's in the future. Congrats to Big Slick on another well run tourney. The team event concept is still one I'm undecided about although. It may well be the last one they run due to a poor turnout outside of Waterford players. It should be interesting to see how JP's team game goes down. Anything bar a great response from players could well see the end of team events and a return to traditional poker tournaments.

I only just realised why Flipper was calling me "Fogul" throughout the event. Grrrrrrrrrrr. Himself and Nicky Power took turns in jeering me and labeling me that spastic from Super Bad who I'm not like in any shape or form. The pair seem to be each others idols which I certainly wasn't aware of. Playing pitch and toss in his room for big books, the likable dolphin and his family guy compatriot are two sick gamblers and sick poker players to boot. They make an ideal couple you could say! Perhaps they could go on a date together?

Anyway that's enough blabbering for now. I'm off to order some poker books and some dvds off amazon for the afternoon. Feel free to leave me some suggestions..

3 comments:

Mellor said...

I think you are under-estimating the number of hands needed for that bonus. At 8pts per $1, $2000 is 16,000 pts.
At .50/1 you get .5pt per hand raked above 25c. Thats 32k raked hands, which is alot of hands as not every hand is raked. Unless I am misreading their pts calculation.

Anyway, still haven't managed to see you accross the felt yet. Most likely will at next "ME" type event.

dokearney said...

True story: I was trying to impress my very unimpressionable teenage daughter Fiona with photos from Drogheda, and she asked "Anyone famous playing there?"

I said "Um, yeah, there was Joe Beevers...."

Fi looks very unimpressed.

Then she sees one of the final table photos and suddenly she's way excited.

"OH WOW, WOW, WOW, WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME MCLOVING WAS THERE?".

I'm in her bad books now for not getting your autograph.

snoopy1239 said...

C'mon sunshine. I've linked you, but I don't see the Beagle on your page. :-)

Nice working with you last week, although my favourite colour is still red and I ain't budging.