Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Losing with remarkable consistency

Very tough times indeed lately. In fact, the past 10 days have been my worst spell in poker since I started playing. I am getting killed both online and live. It seems like every time I log in I am losing money and the results of late would confirm as much. My ladbrokes account is merely one month old yet already i am beginning to re-think about the site. After an all too promising start I have lost about $5000 on the 2/4 tables over the past two weeks. During this time I have encountered some crushing beats (especially on the river-I'm not one for superstition but it is frightening how many pots I have lost on the river alone) and some real coolers. Despite this, I have been losing consistently over about 10,000 hands so something has to be up. My play has deteriorated too and its time to re-evaluate. The site is tough, that there is no doubt. Maybe I was getting an easy ride on Everest with their soft games saving my bacon. Maybe I am just running bad or maybe my game has slipped and I'm playing badly. Unfortunately I think the latter is prevailing.

Live play has been just as bad. I played the 3-day €1000 Sporting Emporium May festival ME and was first man out after 5 hands. To be honest I think my play in the hand was fine. I have no problem putting my stack in after one hand if I think its the correct thing to do and looking back I have no regrets. What I do regret however was playing cash afterwards. The nl game is tough at the best of times and for me is a game I should not even be considering unless I am feeling 100% confident in both my form and my play. On Friday last I was not confident in either so looking back i think it was awful game selection on my part. I found the game tough and I was uncomfortable. The game plays so big and even though I bought in for €800 I think I was the second shortest stack on the table. John O Shea was very mouthy and was trying to needle and unnerve the weaker players in the game (a group to which I was a part of). The conditions were treacherous yet I played on. In less than an hour I had lost €1000 and left with my tail between my legs. These are hits I am not used to and is the reason i should not be jumping into such games just yet. I did leave the game early which was the correct thing to do but my head has not been right since. I have played live 3 time since then all of which were losing sessions. I am down approx €3500 live in the past 2 weeks.

I am off to Bolton in the morning for the UK Open darts. I have been looking forward to this holiday since before my exams and it cannot come sooner. I get to relax and have some fun for the next 4 days and not think once about poker. A break might be just what I need. When I return next week I will drop down to 1/2 online and be playing solely in the smaller jackpot games for the next while. I need to get my game in gear before Vegas because as it stands I feel like i am very much stuck in neutral.

6 comments:

Collie said...

Ye shoulda been in the Jackpot on Sunday, games as zany as ever!!
Hardly the best preperation for the wsop though. Not sure what is tbh, I'd suggest not playing at all, zero, zilch. Exercise, eat well, and chill.

Theresalwaysone said...

Im glad someone is running like me.

smurph said...

I know you feel like your stuck in neutral at the moment, but it is better to have this slump now rather than over in Vegas. I hope you enjoy Vegas, i loved it, but was slightly overwhelmed the first time I went over.

Enjoy it, but maybe chill out for a little while before you go over, re-charge the batteries so to speak.

Mellor said...

Sorry to hear about the run Gary,
As yoknow I seen the busto hand in the SE ME. I you played it fine against an unknown. I was surprised when he snap called with his hand.
After some table with him, he was never folding, even with this the hand is neutral. I had you hit, I was glad to be to your left.

As for me, I ran pretty bad in the ME also.

Mick McCool said...

Gary, have only met u once mate when u where apologising for some second hand shit you wrote about me on that boards site. You seemed a good bloke and that is why l will take the time to give you a bit of advice for what it is worth!

I have been playing now for 2 and a half years and more importantly surviving. I have went busto twice but this was not from poker, as a matter of fact if l stuck to poker which l am doing now l would be well off. Your situation is relavant to many that have come before you and will apply to many that will come after you. Dry spells come mate and some times they are like the fucking Sahara, but you gotta ride it out or turn off and stop playing live for a month or two. If you plan to WIN you won't win, the wins will come when least expect them.

As for ladbrokes or any site where European players are the back bone, are you fucking of with the fairies? Get onto a site with dozy Yanks who simply are SHIT cash players and the GTD tourneys are good value.

Do NOT continue to play now if you are going to Vegas mate as your confidence and body language will start to let you down. Have a break bud and let your disciplined ability carry you through the dry spell. Stay away from the blog and all poker related stuff, especially forums where they are mostly bullshitters who cant play poker and certainly don't rely on it for a living. If you need advice speak to a fellow pro, it is like all walks of life in that an experienced person will have seen these scenarios many times. I speak to Ciaran O'Leary most weeks and listen to everything he tells me, there is no substitute for experience.

I went to Vegas for the first time at the start of the Series and won the first event l played for 19k. I felt you could get pokered out very quickly over there so l came back for a fortnight to chill. Going back this Tuesday for the 1500 plo r/b and staying for 6 weeks so come and find me in the Rio mate. I will stake you for a Bellagio or Venetian comp.

Good Luck.

Unknown said...

nice reply mick, i dont agree with the american players part tho. stars and tilt are by faaar the hardest site.

as for runnin bad, more like you just got caught and now have to play yourself, llooooooooooolll

first 7 weeks of my year were loosing weeks and you know how scaary good i am. so just ride it out drop a level maybe

glgl