Sunday, February 08, 2009

Time to improve

A long two weeks of poker and little joy. It started with a trip to Killarney. Connie put on a good show as usual put my show never got started. A short stack going into day two I was gone in 10 hands. Made an incorrect fold of two pair against Caoimh and put a bluff on a fella who was always going to call with top pair no kicker. Looking back on it I'm quite disappointed in how I played. Towards the end of day one I was extremely reckless calling people down with ace high for no reason. It was desperation stuff in what seemed like a run of a gazillion tournaments Ive played without picking up any wealth of cards.

I tried to brush myself off after my Killarney exit and relaxed for a few hours before playing a cash game that night. I played long and hard into the night and was never ahead. I ended up down €600 for the night. I watched all the other poker lads having a good time at the bar and thought of all my other friends back in Dublin who were out in town that night. Saturday night. And here was me with a bunch of 47 1/2 year olds, doing my nuts.

Sunday was another expensive day. I searched for a lift to Clonmel so I could get up to the coursing festival. 150 poker players in the Killarney main event, surely somebody would be making the trip up. Several hours later I had bagged myself a lift. A watch salesman from Galway offered me a spin for the price of the juice to get there. A central clause in the deal. The journey up was a little frightening because of three reasons. Number one he was stoned from all the hash he was smoking en route. Number two he was driving 80mph+ and overtaking everyone, even on single white lines. Number three he was talking to my face rather than looking ahead.

I arrived in Clonmel a little bit ill but relieved that this particular roller coaster was over. Then the watch-man cornered me. He wanted me to buy half his entry into the €300 tournament in return for the lift he had given me. Oh dear. The only thing that he had actually lifted was my stomach to just below my mouth, surely I wouldn't have to give him that much money? So there I was trying to reason with him that €150 was a bit much for a drive from Killarney. I offered him €50 and he snapped my hand off. This was one of the more casual muggings I have experienced. Later in the week I would encounter a much more above the line heist watching travellers playing 3 card trick outside Clonmel Racecourse, also for €50s.

I played cash that evening and posted my second losing live session of the week. I played bad and ran bad. A good effort all round. The one saving grace was that i had secured a room for €40 a night during the coursing festival. A fair saving from the €720 the Clonmel Park Hotel quoted me for a 3 nights stay. You do get one evening meal with that though.

The time was right too for our gentleman offering lifts. He got a room for next to nothing as well. In fact it was nothing. He didn't pay anything just checked out the following morning and left me with the bill. I do tend to get shafted betimes.

I played two more days in Clonmel and continued the losing streak. Rather ironically I believe I played quite well the final two days. It was tail between your legs time though and back to Dublin out of pocket. I played pitch and toss and mythical on the way back. I was €50 down on that too.

Finally it was the Red Cow and the Deepstack main event. I love this tournament and did a preview on the Poker Ireland site for this month's article. I was delighted with how I played getting late into the day Saturday and knocked out with 30 left to James McManus who went on to finish fifth. I got dealt Aces and Kings not once for the duration of the tournament. With a few more cards maybe I would have cashed.

I was delighted to see my good friend Francis McCormack win it. He is on a roll at the moment (I flagged him up in the first article of the year on Poker Ireland as a man bang in form) and not a nicer fella could take over Dara O Kearney's crown. I'm also delighted for Sean Kilroy who I urged to take a shot at the festival. He finished 9th and put in the performance of his life. Well played indeed. Sean Gregory too was another I was pleased to see do well. Obviously it was a great run by Dara too to come 15th. He defended his title valiantly.

So that's it for the foreseeable future. The Irish Open is the next big tournament. I would love to play it but I'll need to satelite in. My live fund has taken an awful hammering these past two weeks with Killarney (-1150) Clonmel (-1400) and the Deepstack (-1650). Ive got some money in my Paddy Power account which I will use to try satelite my way in. Other than that i will be be multi-tabling 1/2 for the time-being.

All these knocks seem disheartening but I feel quite happy with poker at the moment. I'm delighted that I could take these shots on my own money ans still be in action. I have no problem hibernating away for a few months and going for it again. My game is improving all the time and one day it will all click and I truly believe I will get a big score in a tournament. For the moment I'm happy to learn my trade. Grinding away online is helping to grow my foundations as a player.

As long as I am looking to improve, that's all that matters.

3 comments:

QueenJ said...

Where do you pick these people!??? That was sick ripping you off like that... Bad karma will follow him all his days, UL mate! Here's hoping for a nice cash win for you soon...

Madhu said...

Heard that the world series of poker is starting in june at Las vegas.

If you are looking at luxury accomodations at affordable prices, try the Palms Place.

Palms Place Guests Step into a world of visual stimulation and sophisticated luxury. From its spectacular Strip views and Hollywood-hip credentials, Palms Place provides guests with exclusive and sophisticated accommodations just steps away from the excitement and Splendor of fabulous Las Vegas Strip.
Palms Place offers exclusive and exquisite accommodations. Luxury Suites International offers value rates.

The one bedroom condos offer guests 1220 square feet of luxury contemporary accommodations with hardwood and marble flooring. The upscale amenities include a king bed with Italian bedding by Mateo and queen-size pull out sleeper sofa, twin 42” plasma TVs,9-foot ceilings, a state- of-the- art kitchen with stainless steel appliances, dining area, living room with fireplace, multiple balconies, one-and-a-half bathrooms with a dual vanity and a laundry closet with a washer and dryer. The Kitchen features a stove top, dishwasher, microwave, refrigerator, ice machine, kitchen utensils and appliances. The suites offer guests an intimate evening to relax and enjoy the view with a standalone Villeroy & Boch whirlpool bathtub in the master bedroom area.

The serenity of the bedroom suites continues throughout the hotel property. All Palms Place guests are granted access to the inner circle,which includes a comprehensive business center and 24-houe VIP concierge service, exclusive to guests at palm place. Guests also have convenient access to 24-houe valet and room service as well as 9 world-class restaurants,8 lavish night clubs and lounges and 2 acres of opulent swimming pools with a 12-foot waterfall. Featured attractions include the drift spa, Ghost Bar, Sunset Tan, Simon Restaurant, The Playboy club and Pearl Theater.

Located just off the heart of the Las Vegas strip, the palms place tower is located east of the palms hotel towers, conveniently connected by a modern glass-enclosed, elevated moving walkway. A quick ride can take you to the strip, the Las Vegas Convention center and McCarran Airport.

Reserve your suite at www.luxurysuitesintl.com or call 1-877-574-4685

snoopy1239 said...

Hi, Gary. Any chance of a blackbeltpoker.com link?