Tuesday, December 04, 2012

Life as a layabout.

It’s quite the fright you get when you open your curtains in the morning and there’s a man staring back at you. I’m not sure who got more of a scare but I guess he certainly had more to lose. If you get a fright on a ladder it’s a long way down, although my head went perilously close to the roof. Washing windows is not a noble profession but the last thing you want is a person looking out at you suddenly from the inside. It makes the job a whole lot worse.

We all have unfond memories of hard labour but I think I might be allergic. One of the reasons I stayed in college so long is the sheer threat of getting up in the morning and having to go ‘ta wurk’. Women love men who can put up a shelf yet I can barely put out the bins. Manual labour may make you more masculine but it seems like the pursuit of the mindless. It’s all 6am starts and carvarys at noon, sweating your way through the day.

I once had to dig up Harolds Cross greyhound track and I don’t think I’ve ever recovered. In and out of tractors, cutting your hand twice an hour and wanting to punch someone on your way home was the customary day. Wearing your worst Adidas bottoms and a pair of your old runners it’s seems like after the first couple of minutes you couldn’t wait for a shower. Maybe it could be your calling in life but the only thing I could hear were swear words.

“Don’t mind me” he says, barging through the door of my room. To be fair this chap was a gentleman. Watching Racing UK in my boxers and scoffing a bowl of Raisin Splitz at 11am, he must have thought I was an absolute layabout. Yet he didn’t pass any comment. He was a man at work and I wasn’t many grades up from a corpse. We shared a delicate few minutes as he washed the inside windows and I lay in silence. I thought about making conversation but my self esteem was not at its highest. In fact the only steam apparent was that which left my ears on his departing comment.

“Good night.”

No comments: